Saturday, January 14, 2012

The birth of Conner Paul

When Katie was pregnant with Mia she and I both hoped that I could be there to be her doula during labor. Since that was just too hard to plan we decided I'd come a week after her due date.  I ended up being there when Mia was a week old ans stayed for the week.  I cooked, cleaned, helped around the house and gave mothering and breastfeeding encouragement, post-partum doula style.  

When we arrived in Jupiter and it was clear Katie was indeed in labor I told her I would be happy to be her doula and/or birth photographer should she and Chris decide they want me there.  I left it at that and headed with Jeff, the kids, Paul and Josie to the hotel to tuck in for the night.  I got the girls to sleep and crawled in bed with Jeff.  I nearly slept for a little bit when I got a text from Katie asking me to be there.  I was thrilled, kissed Jeff, grabbed my camera and headed out the door.  

When I arrived around midnight Katie was laboring quietly and Chris was busy filling the birth tub.  Oh, did I mention she was having a home birth!?  So exciting!
 Katie did an amazing job.  She is very good at birthing babies.  She was able to sleep off and on from about 3:30-5:30am.  
 The birthing ball and tub, both of which were worth their weight in gold!

 Being there helped Chris to get some sleep through the night, however not too much.  A little caffeine was in order for us all!
 Expectant Grandma waiting patiently to meet her new grandchild!
 Mia waited and watched quietly, never questioning that the situation was anything other than normal.  
 Here comes the baby!  Watch!


Of course, there were many many more pictures than this, but they are not mine to share.  It was an amazing opportunity for me and a night I will never forget.  Thank you for letting me be a part of your birth Katie.  I am so very proud of you and Chris!  Thank you for making me an aunt again!  Conner Paul Bouyea was born December 29, 2011 at 1:44pm 9 pounds 10 ounces and a sweet crown of hair.  Welcome to the world Conner!

2 comments:

Timbra said...

so much restraint, not even ONE photo of your new nephew? But i was glad to see the whole lot of 'em :) Congrats again to your fam.

Rachel Ellis said...

Very cool!!! Congratulations Aunt Renee!