Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Half

In Junior High and High School all the way up until my pregnancy with Kurtis I ran.  I ran most every day.  I loved running.  Going fast.  Just me and my feet.  Then over the years of different activities and raising three babies I quit running.  I started running again in March.  I just woke up one day and thought I'd like to start running again.  I started with mile and a half walk/runs and built up to about 4.5 miles when I decided to do a half marathon.  I can thank my friend Meghan (who was then pregnant with number two), who when she saw I was running asked me if I'd do a marathon with her.  "Yes!"  Wait, is that insane?  Yes.  Ok.  I'll do it!  So this summer I signed up for the Sojo Half Marathon on October 15, 2011.  I started training and was very diligent about it.

The morning of the race I woke up at 4:55am.  Not because that's the time my alarm was set for, but because I was so excited.  I got up, ate my sunflower seed butter bar and my banana and headed out the door.  I parked at the finish and got on the bus to the starting line.  At the starting line I met a few people including two women from Sandy, one who happens to live three doors down and I'd never met her!

I was so ready to run that when it was time I wasn't nervous at all.  I was ready to go!  Unfortunately the day before Jeff came down with a nasty stomach flu and I wasn't sure if he and the kids would make it to cheer me on.  You can imagine how ecstatic I was to hear and see them cheering for me at around mile nine!

Powering along, before I heard their calls.  Kurtis was the designated photographer. 

 Seeing my family gave me a permanent smile for the next two miles and even sent me into fits of happy laughter as I ran.

 By mile 11 I was starting to feel a little tired.  However, Denise had told me she would be waiting at mile 12 for me, so I motored on excited to see my friend.  The next four photos are thanks to Denise.

Here I am mile 12. So happy to have made it this far and so happy to see Denise's smiling face!

 As I was coming up to the street crossing I nearly cried.  Not because I was exhausted or ready to be done, but because I was feeling so proud of myself for reaching this goal!

Crossing the street to the finish line.  Only feet away now!  

 I did it!  I ran the entire 13.1 miles without walking or stopping.  I finished in 2 hours 19 minutes at a 10:41 minute/mile average.  I enjoyed it so much that I can hardly wait until next October when I'll run the St. George Marathon!  Look out world!  I'm on the run!
Thanks to all my family and friends for your support leading up to, during and after my race.  Especially Jeff, Kurtis, Lila and Clarissa.  You helped me have the motivation to make it to the finish!

1 comment:

Timbra said...

so super glad your fam was able to be there. . .wish i'd been able to come cheer you on. . .awesome pix by denise and i love the "finish" pix. . . you inspire me (not to run, but in other things :P