Sunday, July 11, 2010

Statistics aside

Asking why breastfeeding is important to me is like asking why eating or breathing is important to me. It's just what you do. I never really thought of it that way until after I had my second child, Lila. Now, there are a thousand reasons breastfeeding is important to me and here are just a few.

increased bonding between mother and baby
breastfeeding moms get more sleep (one of my favorite reasons!)
it's easy
it's free
it's environmentally friendly
it's a wonderful mothering tool
associated with higher IQ
perfect infant nutrition that changes as baby grows
decreased ear infections
protects against respiratory infections
decreases risk of SIDS for baby
decreases risk of all the female cancers for me and for my daughters
decreases my risk of type 2 diabetes later in life
decreases babies risk of obesity
decreases illnesses for baby
decreases risk of postpartum depression
decreases chance baby will die
helps me get back into shape after birth
diapers are less stinky
decreases the chance my baby will develop Hodgkins disease, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, allergies, diabetes, childhood leukemia....

This list could go on and on and on, but I'll spare you. We all know that scientific evidence proves that breast milk is best for babies. What I'll tell you is something statistics won't. Breastfeeding my babies has helped me be in tune with their every need. I know what my baby needs before he/she even asks for it. I know when they're tired, hungry, or when they're not feeling well. I know all my baby needs to survive is the air and me. That is why breastfeeding is really important to me!

No comments: