Sunday, July 11, 2010

Not likely luck

For a long time I chalked up my ease of breastfeeding to luck. I thought I just had babies who knew how to nurse. To some extent this may be true, but now I know there are a lot of contributing factors to how well breastfeeding goes in the beginning. I've learned that the things I did, or didn't do, during pregnancy, labor and afterward probably had a lot to do with my multiple breastfeeding successes.

First off, I had healthy pregnancies. I ate well balanced whole foods meals and cut out junk food. I exercised daily and made sure to get ample sleep (not as easy after baby #1, but still do-able.) During my second pregnancy my husband, Jeff, and I attended Bradley Method classes which have a strong emphasis on nutrition. I drank plenty of water and never missed an appointment with my prenatal caregiver. Also, I went into labor naturally. Having healthy pregnancies allowed me to go into labor naturally at full term. I was comfortable with those I surrounded myself with during labor and childbirth. I only allowed those who I felt at ease around during my labor and deliveries. I feel this played a vital role in comfort with breastfeeding as well. I never felt the need to cover up or wait for visitors to leave. I was able to focus on what was important, nursing!

Even though my first, Kurtis, was born in a hospital I was lucky that I was only in the hospital all for a total of fourteen hours including the labor and delivery! I labored at home before for most of my 45 hour labor before heading to the hospital. My second child, Lila, was born in a birth center and my third, Clarissa, was born at home and these were wonderful environments conducive to the relaxation needed to get a good start breastfeeding.

Last, and maybe most importantly, I trusted that my body knew how to birth a baby and as a natural extension of that I felt confidant that my body would know how to breastfeed that baby. In hindsight I realize that all of the decisions that I made for pregnancy, labor and birth really did make for my breastfeeding success stories.

No comments: