Saturday, June 16, 2012

Gettin' Down and Dirty

I read about the Dirty Dash at the beginning of the year and immediately wanted to do it.  I happened to be two days before my birthday, so what better way to celebrate than by running it with my son?!  I also signed up the girls for the kids run called the piglet plunge.  Everyone was excited for this event!

Race day finally arrived.  Kurtis and I ready our shirts for the Dirty Dash!






Jeff was going to come and watch the girls while Kurtis and I raced, but he had to work.  Luckily I was able to get Kurtis' friend Chris, who the girls know and love, to come along to help us out.
Before






 Kurtis and I went to the starting area and Chris took the girls to get some water balloons to throw at the runners.  Here is Clarissa trying to smash a balloon on my bum!


 Dancing

 The girls found mud right away, of course.





 Heading to the starting line.


 Go!  Go!  Go!  The course consisted of very little running actually.  It was 5.5 miles of small runs between obstacles.  There were walls, hurdles, giant mud pits, cargo net walls, and, among others, a giant slip'n slide.  


 There were a lot of different costumes.




 While Kurtis and I ran the girls played on the bouncy houses.













 This guy ran the whole race with this box on his head!
 Woo!  Hoo!  We finally made it to the finish line!





 Kurtis and I showered off with the cold hose water showers and we all had some lunch.











 To run the piglet plunge you had to have an adult run with you, so Kurtis and I got in line with the girls for round two!  A 1.2 mile run and mud obstacle course.
 On your mark!  Get set!  GOOOO!








 YEAH!































 Finished!  The girls LOVED it!  In fact, we all did!  We want to do it again next year.

After!  Do we look muddy?
 After frozen cold showers and a certain amount of screaming we changed clothes in towels in the middle of all the insanity.


 It was an amazing day and we all had a blast! I can't wait to do it again!

1 comment:

Timbra said...

looks like a total blast, clearing my calendar next year, as long as it's on the FIRST weekend of June, because otherwise, it's my anniversary. . .but hey, maybe we can celebrate 11 years getting down in the mud :)