Monday, July 11, 2011

Granola anyone?

Welcome to The Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival!

This post was written as part of The Breastfeeding Cafe's Carnival. For more info on the Breastfeeding Cafe, go to www.breastfeedingcafe.wordpress.com. For more info on the Carnival or if you want to participate, contact Claire at clindstrom2 {at} gmail {dot} com. Today's post is about the environment and breastfeeding. Please read the other blogs in today's carnival listed below and check back for more posts July 18th through the 31st!


In 7th grade (or was it 8th?) I carried the same brown paper lunch bag to school for the entire school year. By the end of the year it was covered with duct tape and of course the words "reduce, reuse, recycle" all over it. I started my thrift shopping days as soon as I was old enough to pick out my own clothes and my mother always taught me the value of a good hand-me down. When my second child was born I began using cloth diapers and starting making all of our food (including baby food) from scratch. Breastfeeding happens to go along with all of these things that make me, as my husband so delicately puts it, a big hippie. However I never considered that I was doing something for the environment when I chose to breastfeed my children. I guess when you chose a certain way of life, some things are just a given, but on the other hand I know plenty of people who recycle and use cloth grocery bags that don't breastfeed. Anyone care for an organic kale smoothie?


Here are more post by the Breastfeeding Cafe Carnival participants! Check back because more will be added throughout the day.

1 comment:

Sally Jackson said...

I didn't know you were doing the carnival until i looked back on your posts! Wonderful thoughts! All of them were so right on! Great job ya big hippie!