Thursday, August 5, 2010

on my soap box

disclaimer: I don't usually use this blog to rant or get on my soap box, but today I'm making an exception. So, if you are not a breastfeeding mother, breastfeeding advocate or you feel judged when others say breastfeeding is normal and artificial infant feeding is not STOP. Do not read any further or you may well be offended. Just warning you.

This week being world breastfeeding week there are been a lot of posts on Facebook about breastfeeding. I have posted some myself. Why women get so hot about breastfeeding is beyond me. On more than one post women have become sensitive and offended by myself or others stating scientific fact. Breastfeeding is biologically normal for our species. We are meant to nurse our young. Formula feeding or artificial infant feeding is sub par and will put you and your baby at risk for numerous illnesses, cancers, asthma, diabetes, and a million other horrible things. THIS IS FACT!

When breastfeeding advocates, lactivists, supporters or whatever other title you'd like to give us suggest that breast is best DON'T GET OFFENDED because we're not trying to make you feel bad! Those of us who support breastfeeding aren't trying to make those of you who didn't breastfeed or failed at breastfeeding for whatever reason feel bad! We are simply trying to raise awareness about breastfeeding the the risks of not doing so.

Personally, I don't care what you do. Drive around without your baby in a car seat. Give your kids Burger King every day, just don't get mad at me for telling you it's not safe to drive without putting your baby in a car seat or that eating fast food every day will make your kids obese which in turn will give them many other health problems.

One of my very best friends, Shawnda, tried to breastfeed both of her boys, and wasn't able to. I know a fair bit about how breastfeeding works, and she may well be one of the few (under 2%) that isn't able to nurse on her own. I do not look down on Shawnda for formula feeding after two weeks of nursing ended her in the ER with a lethargic and dehydrated baby. I think she did her best and is a wonderful caring mother.

If I judged every mom on how long she nursed her baby I wouldn't be able to do what I do. I help moms who struggle with nursing every day. Some of these moms succeed, some fail, but they all try and that is what I respect. A lot of moms think that breastfeeding and formula feeding are par, like choosing Pepsi or Coke, and it just isn't so and I want people to know that.

I think people should be informed about everything that they do. Infant feeding should be no different. So the next time I say BREAST IS BEST, don't get mad. I'm not trying to be offensive, just trying to inform. If you don't want to hear it go somewhere else, because if you are around me you are going to hear it!